A centrist commenting on politics in Canada's middle province from the "Centre of the Universe"

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A few thoughts on last night

Well obviously last night didn't quite go the way I had hoped it would. It was needless to say a disappointing night. But congratulations to the NDP and thank you to all of those who got involved in the election as candidates or volunteers.

Here are just a few quick thoughts on the night's results:

1)The power of the incumbant:
It's hard to believe that in the end all of the tight races, or supposedly tight races, went to the incumbents. A challenger's inability to win tight races was shocking (both PC and NDP, but mostly PC). The PCs failed to win any of their "target seats." Even the NDP didn't weren't able their targets such as River East. (due to redistribution and the lack of incumbent I don't see Tyndall Park as a steal) I think this election says a lot about the power of the incumbent in this province.

2) Hugh deserved better.
I personally liked him a lot as a leader and wished he wouldn't of stepped down. I think he represented a solid moderate right of centre approach to politics. While I don't like his decision to step down I understand it. Even with winning 44% of the popular vote and finishing only 2pts behind the NDP in popular vote, the inability to translate that support in a larger seat count meant he would of faced an enormous leadership challenge.

3) Electoral reform?
Unfortunately I don't think we'll be seeing a discussion in this province surrounding this topic... While as of now I don't know if there is a system I'd advocate for a change to but after the results of the last federal election and now this election, I believe it is time for a real discussion on the subject.

4) Liberal Leadership speculation
While the PCs will be looking for a new leader (more on that at a later date), I'm guessing the Liberals will be looking for a new leader in the near future. Dr. Gerrard did commit to completing his term but I believe he will step down as leader soon and help build the party with a new leader over the next 4 years. Early names being thrown around Paul Hesse and Anita Neville...Which after Anita's defeat in May and Paul's weak result in Fort Rouge they might both be weary of throwing their hats in the race. 


I'll have more on the fallout for both PC and Liberal parties in the next few days. I'll also have a post on cabinet speculation up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment