A centrist commenting on politics in Canada's middle province from the "Centre of the Universe"

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Ridings to watch

I would first like to apologize for the lack of substantive posts in the past few weeks. I've been busy with school and I haven't been able to dedicated as much time as I would of liked to the blog. I hope that after this week once things slow down a bit I will have a chance to take a look at the throne speech and write a post on it.

Today's post is the first in a series in which I will examine what I think are the ridings to watch in the next provincial election. I've based my list on factors such as, incumbency, the 2007 election results, the impact of redistribution and party activity in the riding. (The numerical order of the list is just the order I plan on examining each riding.)

My list of ridings to watch:

  1. Dawson Trail
  2. River Heights
  3. River East
  4. Kirkfield Park
  5. Brandon West
  6. Portage la Prairie
  7. Riel
  8. Fort-Garry Riverview
  9. Dauphin
  10. Southdale

For example, Portage la Prairie is on the list for two reasons, a close result in 2007 and the fact that current MLA David Faurschou will not be seeking re-election.

For the PCs to be able to able to get back into government a minimum of 10 seats must swing in their favour. This is a big task because not only do they need to pick up a large amount of seats they must keep the ones they already have which is no guarantee. Three of the seats on my lists are already held by the PCs. Later I also hope to create a top list of target ridings for each party.

But for now it's back to writing papers.

No comments:

Post a Comment